Final Tech Pack and Line List due.
- Work on Final Tech Pack: Trim Sheet, Spec Sheet, Construction Page.
- Set up Final Line List.
- Review any questions Flats for Teck Pack / Trend Garments.
May 6, UC Basement L106, 1-5pm.
For Week 13
- Finish Garment Drawing for Tech Pack.
- Finish Pictures for Seam Library, add Arrows and Numbers for Seam Allowances, Topstitching, Hems.
- In class will start Tech Pack, Set up Heading.
- Import Seam Library Pictures with numbers into Construction Page.
- Do Cutters Must.
- In class, will review necessary Measurements for Spec Sheet.
- Bring in Trend Pictures for trend garments.
- Bring in Garment for Tech Pack.
NEXT CLASS, WEEK 12 BRING IN GARMENT FOR YOUR FINAL. You are encouraged to bring in a couple. Ultimately, I must approve. But there’s a lot of flexibility this time.
The following garments are not allowed:
- Garments with seams completely hidden behind lining.
- Sweaters – that are not cut and sew.
- Mens pants with drop-in Full Pocket & Waistband Attachment.
CLASS 13: Bring in Pictures for Trend drawing.
Special Sunday: May 6. I’ll be in all day, 1-6 UCC basement, for any questions on your drawings.
In class next week :
- Measurements for a Pant.
- Print Page in Tech Pack.
- Picture taking to set up “library of seams” your Garment.
- Construction Page for Ruffle Skirt.
- Drawing Pant, Measuring Pant.
- INTRODUCTION TO FINAL.
- Answering any last minute questions on Midterm Linelist. MUST finish this week.
- Will be compiling Ruffle Skirt Tech Pack.
This next week will be doing the following:
- Answering any last minute questions on Midterm Teck Pack. MUST finish this week.
- Working on & finalizing your Midterm Trend Drawings and, as well, the Midterm Linelist.
- Together will be drawing Ruffle Skirt for skirt Tech Pack which will compile together Week 10.
This past week we got a very good start on Midterm Tech Pack, took our pictures, did cutters must & trim sheet.
For next week –
- Create Illustrator file (seam library) with pictures you took in class this week. Measure your hems and seam allowances. Add arrows and measurements to pictures. Label the pictures. Group picture, arrows and label. Copy group into tech pack on the Construction Page. Keep it very neat.
- See if you can figure out the order in which the garment was sewn – and list each type of seam on the Construction Page – in that order, for all of your seams.
- Make a black and white version of your flat front & back, which we will use for finalizing the Spec Sheet & measurement drawings for this week. BRING IN MEASUREMENT TAPE. Also someone left their tape in classroom last week – I have for you in my bag.
- SERIOIUSLY begin drawings for your two trend garments and bring the files into class to show me.
Next week in class – I will teach you how to create an “outline on top,” we will finish our Headings and copy them through – making sure we are using True Type, we will finalize measurements and pictures for Spec Sheet, and finish our Construction Page.
And in the end, we will copy the heading out to Illustrator to set up our Linelists – for you to work on over the break, and finalize Class 9.
For the next three weeks we are working on our midterms.
Tech Packs are due Week 8.
Linelists are due Week 9. (After Spring Break.)
Walk thru door on Monday with drawing done for shirt for Tech Pack. Get that drawing started!!!
You must bring your shirt to class for the next two weeks!!!!
This coming week: we are setting up Tech Packs, taking pictures for seams, doing cutters must & trim sheets, and will be starting your trend drawings.
Week 8 we finish with specking, construction page and trend drawings.
Week 9 we finalize your Midterm Linelist.
Week 9 we will also be starting the next half of our semesters Tech Packs, a Ruffled Skirt, lined with waistband stitched in the ditch, busted seams that are edge stitched with an invisible zipper.
Also due from last week – Tech Pack we finalized for Short Sleeve Shirt.
WEEK 5: whats due for Midterm Feb. 26
I put the file for Midterm Trend and Shirt online under Modules and Assignments in Midterm folders.
Online Illustrator file gives samples and talks about what you need to bring for Midterm to our next class. All garments even trend drawings can have no more than 6-8 cuts. This is a basics assignment.
You need to research at least two trend garments, and bring the photos to class. That is – in addition to the garment itself you will be bringing in for my approval to use in your Midterm Tech Pack.
We will be discussing cuts, edges & seams for all garments throughout.
There is no class next week, due to President’s Day.
Shirt for you tech pack for Midterm and your trend idea pictures for garment drawings – both are due following Monday, February 26.
File online provides six or so samples of designer garments, in the neighborhood of where you ought to be thinking for your trend drawings.
Please keep your tech pack shirts inline with the five or six shirts I showed you this past class. Again, basics with an edge. Gathers, pleats, volume, taped collars, bound edges, ribbed collars, short sleeve cuffs, raglan sleeves – these are all fine.
Next class will review and approve. Also next class, we will be compiling the Tech Pack for ribbed Short Sleeve Shirt we drew this past week.
COPYING FROM EXCEL
Its a typeface issue!
Arial is the typeface we have been using. Arial is an Open Face type. Microsoft doesn’t play well with Open Face types.
Microsoft likes True Type fonts! If you look under Type in Illustrator, and then under Fonts – next to the name of each font you will see TT for True Type or O for Open Face.
Whenever copying from Excel into Illustrator, turns out we can ONLY USE a TT font or it comes in as garble.
So we will need to use Helvetica True Type font in Excel going forward — instead of Arial.
Will go over in class next week!
We got thru First Flat. And everybody is with me. Everybody in class pulled off their first Fast Draw McGraw.
Techpacks are a campaign. They are often done with approaching deadline.
Using images I will bring in next week, we will be compiling our first tech pack, also using the Tank we just drew. Please be timely. We will, the following, together do:
Garment Page, Cutters Must, Spec Sheet & Measurements, Trim Sheet/BOM (Bill of Materials), and Construction Page – My little loves. All In A Go.
Very conscientious of how tech packs are done in Industry — on demand.
Tank top with taped collar, taped armscye, seamed shoulders, and a hem. Thats it.
All you got to do is come to class and we will pull you through. And you will know what a tech pack is by this time next week.
Be proud be loud. TWO THINGS: You must save all your development files. All your flats will be used in several usages – garment page, tech pack, linelist.
SAVE either on your laptop all ai and excel files we create in class or if you are working on the PCs than you MUST google doc all your Flats and Techpack files end of class.
Because whatever we are working on in class is indeed a season in development, you must think of all our drawings as part of an active linelist.
These next three weeks: tank flat (done), tank techpack (next), short sleeve flat, short sleeve techpack – class 4 we introduce midterm, class 5 you bring in your basic shirt for approval & trend ideas, midterm 6-7-8.
Y’all did great!
Hello my tech pack pursuing lovelies. First week we did basic Illustrator.
I always start the class with exercises. Each new thing we learn gets expanded on in the following week. Review expands into new.
We start on time. The camera starts rolling at 9am. 9am New & Review. So do your best to be on time.
This being an elective course, a number of you signed up this past week. There was no homework last week.
If you missed last weeks class – all files remain on Canvas in Modules throughout the semester, along with the Syllabus.
Check out our first exercise file completed this past week – called Basics. Open it up, and see what you can do.
Next week we do our first drawing for our first Tech Pack. DO NOT MISS IT.